Friday, November 18, 2011

16 November 2011



It really aggravates me when I am trying to study and actually read the review answers and I get something like this horse squeeze:
“Laboratory tests are ordered for two hospitalized patients. During the phlebotomy procedure, the Vacutainer tubes drawn from these patients are mislabeled. One of the patients receives a blood transfusion later that day. Within 1 hour after the transfusion of RBCs begins, the patient becomes tachycardic and hypotensive and passes pink-colored urine. Which of the following statements best describes how this reaction is mediated?”

I had it narrowed down between:
B) Antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity by natural killer cells
D) Complement-mediated lysis of RBCs

Needless to say I got it wrong, and chose B, but that’s not what aggravates me, because I usually LEARN from answering questions incorrectly. I proceed to the explanations and this is what I get RE: answer B:

“…Natural killer cell lysis is seen with antibody-mediated diseases.” You don’t say, Sherlock! Obviously I should have known that the process was complement-mediated, but I thought differently. C’est la vie, I can get over that. I’m kvetching because that is a completely USELESS statement. Yeah I’m making something out of nothing, but it’s these “DUH!” circular statements that make me wonder how much the schmucks who wrote this got paid…

No comments:

Post a Comment