Monday, December 31, 2012

Medical Student Overload

Saturday evening I went out to dinner with a few friends. I'll save the details for the grand finale. After dinner, we made our way out and about and I amused myself by sliding around on a patch of ice. We then did some karaoke (at a place full of really bad singers, I can't see myself returning) and then about 1am I'd found my limit, and went home. 

Just after getting home I felt some discomfort in my abdomen. Discomfort quickly turned to pain. Somatic. PAIN. In my right lower quadrant. I freaked myself about thinking that I had appendicitis. Being almost 2am at this point I said, well I don't have a fever, no nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, or fever, appendicitis is very unlikely. Given I had just eaten all-you-can-eat sushi, I also thought it could be a serious case of indigestion. I went to bed, actually got comfortable pretty quickly, and said if the pain hadn't resolved by morning I would have a friend take me to the hospital. Having done plenty of stints in the ER and night shifts on the floor, I knew I'd be lying in a bed either way for the next several hours. I then started organizing my thoughts and symptoms to be able to tell the doctor, and started thinking of how my mother was going to fly up to Chicago and cluck like a mother hen until her baby got better. 

Thankfully I woke up and felt much better, a little sore, but not painful. I'm convinced in my shenanigans on the sidewalk ice I pulled a muscle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment