Sunday, January 10, 2010

Back to the grind...

As of 8 January I'm back in Dominica. Yippee, right? The first few hours were completely awful. With my entire being I did NOT want to be here, and I couldn't have cared less why I was. Just take me back tot he airport and let me go home. I'll figure something out for the rest of my life. Of course, after a massive whine fest that would give any three-year-old a run for his money common sense prevailed. What would I do when I get home? Answer -- nothing worth leaving. It's temporary, hopefully when 2011 rolls around I won't have to come back here and I'll be THAT much further along to achieving my goal. So I did/will continue to just eat it and deal with it -- as will everybody else in my position. This isn't home, and three weeks of doing nothing but what I wanted to do was, in retrospect, guaranteed to result in a let down or feelings of morose. Of course, a nasty stomach bug that manifested itself the first night in Puerto Rico didn't help either!

My brother and I went to Puerto Rico for a few days to just hang out and see a little bit of Puerto Rico. All good and well. Around 7pm the first night I felt like I'd been on the losing end of a chicken fight with a Mack truck. Around 9pm I made myself acquainted with the toilet bowl. Due to violet circumstances we maintained our close bond for the next 8 hours. Yippee, right? The next day I felt like I'd been run over by two Mack trucks, but Michael was there and so was I so I set my jaw and tried to make the best of it. We had five to six hours where we went to the Bacardi factory and Old San Juan which was fun. After a while though I was aching all over and had to go back to the hotel. We had planned to head back in the late afternoon/early evening because Mike wanted to watch the National Championship, so this was about an hour or so earlier than planned. Oh well. We got back and I took a two hour nap. This was not food poisoning as I originally thought!

Flying down here was an infinitely more pleasant experience than either my flights to or from Dominica last semester. Dear Lord was it better! Last semester I had to fly LIAT inbound and outbound because there was no other choice. I promptly swore that I would do everything in my power to ensure LIAT was never an option ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment