Monday, March 23, 2009

An auspicious begining.

Ok, I'm starting a blog for several reasons:

1. I have a least three independent thoughts/ideas and a song floating around in my head at any given time. Song of the moment "Circus" by Britney Spears. Don't hate. I would like to be able to have a better record of some of the day to day experiences that I have, because every day is different.

2. I've kept blogs from time to time documenting various experiences. My two biggest and best (greatest hits?) were of the time I spent living in Germany and Armenia (two separate occassions). Unfortunately due to the superior craftsmanship of the people at Microsoft (please note the dripping sarcasm) the Windows XP operating system on my last computer decided to digest itself into silicon oblivion. Lucky me, eh? Somewhere I have a saved email file so I may pull that up and post a link to it, we'll see how that goes.

3. And probably the most definitive reason why I'm actually starting this, is because I'm sitting at work waiting for things to boil/distill and I just found out my grandfather passed away.

So, let's begin with another list (I like lists, FYI) of a few premises about this blog.

1. I'm completely random and my thoughts don't always flow in a linear fashion.

2. If I refer to a person I will almost always use an alias, though if you know me you should at least be able to identify yourself as well as maybe a few others, it just depends on how much our circles intertwine. You should know that the terms are always terms of affection, regardless of how mean they may appear, haha.

3. If I've identified your blog in here and you don't know me, I promise you I'm not a stalker (visions of Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" are coming to mind, eh?), I just simply enjoy reading your blog and if I've gone through the trouble of following it and posting it, take the gesture as you have made me smile. If you want to hear the tale of how I found your blog, feel free to ask me. How's that?

4. I reserve the right to contradict myself.

Ok, onto today's business. It's almost 20:00. I'm still at work, trying to light a fire under a validation process that doesn't want to speed itself up. Musn't hurry these things you know.

My dad called around 16:30. At that precise moment I had my phone in my hand changing songs. My first thought was, Jeez Dad couldn't you wait thirty minutes before calling. You know I usually don't get off till five. I supressed the urge to sound aggrivated on the phone, turns out with good reason. Apparently Granddaddy had passed away that morning. This was very unexpected as he had no serious health issues. Ok, the man was 82 and had been in and out of the hospital numerous times, but never for anything life threatening. Grandmama came home from church and found him slumped over the dresser, so nobody really knows what happened, or when. I haven't felt anything yet, perhaps because I haven't had time to digest it all. Maybe also because the last time someone this close passed away was almost eight years ago, when I was 15. Anyway, Nasty, Skinny, and Quality at work were very sympathetic, and offered to help in any way they could. What else were they to say, but they seemed full of genuine concern which means more to me than the actual offers (which doesn't mean I still don't appreciate the offers). Nasty and AD were in the lab with me when the phone call came through so I'm sure my facial expressions were something to behold as I was filled in on the events.

Ok, that being said, the funeral is in two days in Small Georgia Mountain Town. While all that sounds great, bear in mind there is no easy way to get to Small Georgia Mountain Town from Hartwell, where I live or Gwinnett County where the rents live. This of course means at least two hours of winding through little country roads behind people whose concept of "fast" is 40mph. Oh goody. Unfortunately, aforementioned validation means that I won't be able to attend the viewing. This is my call, not Skinny's or Quality's.

*BTW, side note, I really wish I could have been wage these next two days at it's approaching 20:30, haha.*

*Another side note, I don't normally do this at work, however, everything I'm doing at the moment consists of ten minutes of waiting, and thirty seconds of work!*

To change the subject, things at work are going well, I really can't complain much. I still don't feel very comfortable with many of the people at work, which is unfortunate considering I think work should be as pleasant as possible. On one hand I understand I'm an outsider here (city/suburb boy with a host of interests and experiences not to be found in most people around here) who apparently comes across as stuck up and arrogant. Thankfully most of the people I work with day-in and day-out I get along with fine. On the other the whole everybody-be-involved-and-know-everything-about-you-and-then-gossip-and-make-judgments-about-it is a real put off. I have yet to strike a happy medium.

I do, however, get along quite well with the people I do work on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps it's because the group of people I work with all went to college, while the large majority of people I don't work with did. I'm told it's a matter of perspective. Guess it's hard for me to have that perspective since I've never been in that position. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment