Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Graduation

Was not at all what I hoped it would be.

A four day trip turned into fourteen hours in Miami.

Grandmama had a stroke. I didn't even want to go. Stayed in ATL until she was stable. Mom got on the phone and said "here's your ticket. It leaves in two and a half hours." What? So I hauled it to the airport. Thankfully a friend picked me up at Miami International (at midnight) and drove me to the hotel, and then to the arena. The day was largely a blur. I noticed that one of the physicians who'd written a letter of recommendation for me was hooding graduates. When it came my turn to go up on the stage, I made sure that he was the one hooding me. He recognized me and gave me a hub, "oh my gosh I'm seeing all of my students here today!" It was one nice thing about a very bad day. I'd be lying if I didn't own that I had tears in my eyes most of the ceremony. I didn't want to be there. I was there alone.


Afterward the same friend invited me to lunch, then I realized his entire family would be there. And they paid for my lunch. THEN he drove me back to the airport...I'll need to buy him at least one meal for his troubles.

I then fly back to Atlanta, where we thought she was going to go soon. But she didn't. I had one more week of work, and I couldn't keep sitting there. So I get back to Chicago, and after two days of work I get the call. I was able to go into work that day, but that turned out to be my last day at that job. Not that I was really distraught about it because I was ready for that job to be over. But I felt bad about having to say, "um, yeah, I know I said my last day was Saturday, but it's today. Sorry about that. I'll come into tomorrow if you need me." But they didn't. So I'm done.

The funeral was a funeral. My family asked me to sing "Amazing Grace." At my grandmama's funeral. Grand. I couldn't look at anybody while I sang. Then, after the graveside (because one hour of torture isn't enough, we need another 30 minutes) the bottom fell out of the sky. It was just a crappy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment