Sunday, January 13, 2013

Last Day of OB

On my last day of OB/GYN, because nothing is easy, it was meant to make sure this day will be long.

I walked into the unit at 630 (always a thrill) to be met with one patient, who had just been admitted. Said patient is nowhere near delivering and will probably not deliver before I leave. Grand. I figured I would attempt to document some of the things that I have seen and/or done lately.


C-section due to breach presentation. The baby came out looking very funny, with a flat head and his feet up by his ears (from the breach).


A resident who took five minutes to even get sterile gloves on his hands. All medical students wrestle with the sterile gloves at least once, but this dude is a resident, and the scrub tech was putting his on for him--and he still had issues.


Ambiguous genilatlia. In what turned out to be a baby girl with 21-alpha-hydroxylase deficiency. The neonatologist would not assign a sex to the baby due the ambiguity.

A whole host of normal deliveries. Why is that just when you think you're getting the hang of things it's time to go. I am just starting to get the hang of being in the Delivery Room and what to expect.

I enjoyed OB, more than I thought I would. Having said that I still don't think I want to do OB. I thought the rotation was very well-organized, so it went by quickly. I feel like I learned a lot, and, barring any serious complications, I could deliver a baby on a plane.

Bring on the crazy people in psych next week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment