Saturday, August 14, 2010

Oi, where does the time go??

Like the title says. T-5 days until my plane (hopefully!) touches down in Atlanta. I cannot wait. I'm scheduled to leave THIS PLACE at 8:50 that morning. I've been obsessively checking my booking on aa.com as if it were some dream or shiny object that will be yanked away from me at the last minute. After landing and doing the whole delightful customs, immigration, and UDSA bag thing scan I have a four hour layover in San Juan. Not really sure what I'm going to do for that four hours as that's one of the decidedly more mundane airports to visit. It's nice, but the concourses are small, and you can walk all the way around it in twenty-five minutes or so. For a plane geek like me a bigger airport where I can look and see where everybody is going is much more fun. As a result, San Juan is boring. It's nobody's hub, so unless you walk to the one corner where American Eagle operates their puddle jumpers to the various islands, it's very easy to tell where the planes are going. Frankly that doesn't interest me because living here has dulled any interest or enthusiasm for visiting the Caribbean for the foreseeable future. For me, this takes all the fun out of looking around. US Airways?? Well they're either going to Charlotte or Philly. Yawn. United? DC or Chicago. Continental? Houston or Newark. American has a little variety, but only if you walk around after dinner, by which time I'm gone. So otherwise all their flights are going to Miami. Yawn. And Delta? Well, that's my flight, so I already know where that's going... Compare that to walking around the big hub airports like O'Hare, Philly, and of course my stomping ground of ATL. Walking around those airports I can look at the various gates and then I check out where the flight is going. Its exciting, all that activity. Ok wow. blah blah blah.

We're at that point of limbo where we have nothing to do BUT study, and frankly, it's annoying. I spend all day looking at the computer, and as a result I don't really truly get tired. The other day I played tennis for about an hour-and-a-half and I was a zombie afterwards, and basically went straight to bed and was out cold until 7 the next morning (yesterday). It was delightful! I was in Classroom 6 by 8:30 (usually at least an hour before I even contemplate waking up). It's amazing (and incredibly annoying) how toward the end of the semester the sleep schedule goes haywire. When I'm at home I'm almost always out before midnight and up by 830. When I was working I was more-often-than-not in the bed by 9:30 in la-la land by 10, if not 11, and wide awake at six. I do miss that regularity and sense of normalcy. Looking back though, I see that a lot of it was because I was simply bored and tired from the long day of work, and had nothing better to do than lay in bed and watch movies until sleep came. Toward the end of my time working I frequently found myself not even home until 8:30 or 9 as I was branching out a little. I found myself more willing to get home a bit later in order to see my friends, even if they were an hour away.

Anyway, I'm rambling. This is me being incredibly thankful that we only have one day of finals this semester (as opposed to THREE last semester). That, combined with only one semester's worth of material to cover makes it much less stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment