Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's amazing the things you don't want to put up with when you don't have to, anymore. It's also amazing the about face you and other people take on issues and opinions when, previously, all were on the same page. I think a lot of people have experienced reverse culture shock, which is totally understandable. Imagine going from one of the least populated, poorest islands in the Caribbean, to MIAMI, one of the top ten metro areas in the United States. Quite a change, no? Just for comparison, the COUNTY, that I grew up in is the same size geographically as Dominica, but has ten times the population. I also think that a lot of people who aren't here yet can be a bit envious and it shows in how snarky and snippy they get. Yeah, I'm still a bit cheesed. My feelings don't mend easily.

It took awhile for me to get used to the traffic again, just because I'd barely driven in over a year. I could probably live with it out, but in a way it energizes me. It shows that there are PEOPLE here, that there is life here, that there is STUFF going on. My primary complaint is the lack of lane etiquette. In Atlanta, more or less, there is a tendency for slower drivers to stay right. Not.so in Miami!

I've really enjoyed being in a more urban area. I like that all the stores are within a few minutes drive, or I can even walk to a few, although due to the fact that I don't want to care twenty pounds of groceries across US-1 I typically drive, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment